About Kay and Shi
Welcome To The Family!
Hi, We're Kay & Shi
We’re Rooting For You!
When Kay and Shila were 10 and 17, their parents quit their careers and “bet it all” to buy a tiny breakfast restaurant in a California ski town. The sisters instantly gained a front row seat to the drama of American entrepreneurship, and joined the ownership to help grow the business into a national brand featured on Food Network, in The New York Times, Forbes and more. The sisters maintain ownership of the 8 figure restaurant chain and serve as co-chairs of the board.
Since 2015 Kay and Shila have shared their stories and strategies as speakers and podcasts hosts, speaking to crowds of dozens, hundreds, and thousands. Contracted by leadership expert and bestselling author John Maxwell, the sisters helped design a marketing strategy that yielded 90 million dollars in sales and still serve as the marketing faculty for John’s organization of more than 40,000 members.
The sisters have had the opportunity to interview and share stages with many accomplished people, including, John Maxwell, Michelle Obama, Dr. Bruce Lipton, Dr. Daniel Amen , and Dr. Robert Cialdini, to name a few.
They are now partnered with the famous neuropsychologist Dr. Joseph McClendon III, as co-founders of The Neuroencoding Institute, an educational organization that certifies students in neuroscience methodologies.
Kay and Shila live in Reno Nevada with their husbands and children, and when they aren’t trying to elevate the world, you can often find them doing puzzles, practicing piano, teaching at the University of Nevada, and singing songs from the smash Broadway hit: Hamilton.
"You deserve to have sisters in your corner, that’s why we’re here for you. Whether you’re building your entrepreneurial dream or simply trying to live your best life, remember: we’re rooting for YOU!"
– Kay & Shi
We’d LOVE to introduce ourselves, and get to know you now that you’re part of our family! Here’s 7 facts about your new sister duo:
1. We’re real life sisters (7 years apart) and best friends. Kay’s name might come first, but she’s the youngest, and if you ask either of us who’s in charge, we’ll both say: Big Sis Shi.
2. We’re both happily married to people who accept our deep sister bond (shoutout to Danny and Chad!). Between the 2 of us there are 5 kids. 3 are Shi and Chad’s, 2 are Kay and Danny’s, and all of them are the most cherished things in our lives.
3. Our entrepreneurial roots run deep. When Kay was 10 and Shi was 17, our parents purchased a failing restaurant called the Squeeze In. We spent the next 18 years working in and eventually running the family business. We are still co-owners of our beloved restaurants, but today our day to day work is mainly focused on a myriad of businesses (we told you we were multidimensional!) centered around helping other multipassionate leaders with personal growth and business development.
4. Shi has a passion for the social sciences and a Masters degree in Sociology that she gets to use as a sociology instructor at University of Nevada where her students call her Professor Shi.
5. Kay is a pageant enthusiast, having won the title of Mrs. Reno in 2020 and participating in the Mrs. Nevada pageant, placing top 3 for People’s Choice. She once again holds Mrs Reno for 2022 and looks forward to competing in United States of America’s Mrs. Nevada competition later this year.
6. We love to work AND play together, and we’re kind of nerdy. We love Disney, sci-fi, puzzles, reading, woo-woo stuff, spiritual journeys, attending conferences, traveling, hiking, and musicals (specifically we’re REALLY obsessed with Hamilton. Like, really obsessed).
7. We are alcohol-free and vegetarian, but we’ll never say no to french fries or dessert – especially banana splits …
Kay & Shi RealRecentRaving Testimonials
Kay and Shi were incredible speakers! Such high energy and excellent orators. Very well organized presentation with the right amount of "flow". A very unique approach to culture that surprised and engaged even the most seasoned of HR Professionals. I would highly recommend their presentation for any organization trying to build a culture that creates the highest level of employee satisfaction.
7 Figure Entrepreneur
Kay & Shi are absolutely the most inspiring, relevant, engaging speakers I have worked with over the last several years. Their willingness to have difficult conversations, continuously learn transparently and share their stories in a manner that touches everyone in the room! Well prepared, superbly executed and spot on are also words I would use to describe every presentation I have witnessed! Bring them to your event and you will shine!
President, DJ Positives, LLC & Veteran Airforce Commander
When I first met these sisters I'll admit I thought: What can these millenials teach me-an experienced Baby Boomer? Well boy, was I wrong, and after working with them for just one hour I was transformed, and I have been a humongous fan ever since. Seriously, whatever Kay and Shi are doing, I'm doing too.
Kay and Shi were a fantastic addition to the DisruptHR Reno event last August. They were the first duo that we have ever had at DisruptHR and it was absolutely perfect! I would recommend having the two of them speak at any event!
Kay and Shi were the featured speakers at our recent online NCET Biz Cafe, where they discussed "Cracking the Culture Code." They were each informative, entertaining and energizing and we had a record turnout, retention and engagement. We hope they'll return soon for another presentation!
Miss America 2011
Working with Kay and Shi is always an incredible experience. I first met Kay and Shi in 2015 and have spent the last several years working with them for the John Maxwell Team. As Miss America 2011, I worked alongside all sorts of event and marketing experts, but no one comes close to Kay and Shi. Their energy, expertise, care, and execution are unmatched. They truly connect with every single person they interact with and are the utmost professionals at all times.
Professor of Entrepreneurship
I teach a senior and graduate level entrepreneurship class at UNR. As an adjunct professor, I look for ways to provide my students with life skills and experiences they can take and keep with them. One of the most important and effective means of achieving this is through the use of guest lecturers. I met K&S at a local conference and asked them if they would be interested in speaking to my class. In a short testimonial, I cannot do justice to them as individuals or entrepreneurs.
About Town Deb
I have to say that I am so grateful for the opportunity to partner with both K&S as we support our community and help create a community that supports one another. Their dedication and commitment to creating a community that gives back is amazing. I also consider them to be mentors! They inspire me to be the best I can be and at the same time they inspire me to see that together we can create a community together. Let us learn knowledge and kindness with K&S!
WOW! Kay & Shi knocked it out of the park! Home run!! Their presentation was quoted and used throughout the meeting by each person that spoke. I have had three requests already for a copy of the slides. My managers are excited to present this to their teams!
Join The Sisterhood
Activate and get inspired alongside your favorite sisters.
2020 President of NNHRA